Re: Downcase of a symbol

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Downcase of a symbol
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 18:57:54 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

>>Case insensitivity is almost never a good idea.  It leads to stuff that
>>sometimes works and sometimes fails under mysterious circumstances.
>>
>>For example, you are aware that in a Turkish locale, I downcases to ı
>>instead of i , and i uppercases to İ instead of I ?
>>
>>And if you do search-and-replace operations (like convert-ly does) for
>>code changes, you'll only catch some parts.
>
> OK, I'll think about requiring case sensitivity. But then I should
> probably require all package directory names to be lowercase - because
> allowing mixed case would make life unnecessarily hard for users.

Yes, that sounds sensible.  All-lowercase file names tend to cause least
trouble when moving between worlds: partial capitalization that may be
"resolved" by the file system (on MSDOS/Windows/MacOSX) tend to cause
surprises on Unix-type file systems.  And since it's sometimes not even
clear whether it is the operating system or the file system that deals
with canonicalization, the less one needs to deal with this, the better.