Re: Superfluous # signs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Superfluous # signs
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 20:10:05 +0200

Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

> For example, in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/using-midi-instruments
> we have:
>
> \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"glockenspiel"
>
> Is the # prior to the quote marks now not needed and so this (and a number
> of others) could be tidied up?

Likely.  But please leave the quote marks.  It's probably currently
accepted without, but that's sort of a bad idea.  It might change, and
it wouldn't work for things like "acoustic guitar".

#"glockenspiel" is a Scheme expression, "glockenspiel" is a LilyPond
expression.  The latter can, in various contexts, be interpreted as a
symbol, a string, a symbol list, a lyrics syllable.  But I think that
after \set (and generally in assignments) it would be a string.  And
that's very likely to stay so.