Re: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #1388 Supp

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #1388 Support OpenType font features
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 13:46:51 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Xavier Scheuer [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> On 18 May 2017 at 07:35, Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues <
> [hidden email] <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=203182&i=0>>
> wrote:
> >
> > Initial work to support opentype font features
> >
> > Following up on an old patch I send to the list. One comment was to use
> list
> > for combining multiple font features. This is now implemented. A
> possible
> issue
> > is the pango API needed is somewhat newer. I'll investigate where I need
> to set
> > that in an update (pointers and hints welcome).
> >
> > http://codereview.appspot.com/323850043
>
> Wow!

Wow, indeed! This is great news!

> True small caps and old-style numbers coming into Lilypond, this is
> (again) one of my most-wanted features!
>
> How/where do we find the list of font-features? I guess these "terms"
> ("smcp", "onum") are related to Pango and/or OpenType. Or are these
> specific for each font?

They are general OpenType glyph categories (i.e., subtables), but the font
designers are the ones who determine whether a font has them or not. So,
trying to use the small-caps glyphs via "smcp" will only work if there are
real small-caps glyphs identified in that subtable. The same is true for
all other subtables.

> For example which term should we use respectively for tabular numbers,
> superior numbers, stylistic alternates, etc.?

Here's hoping! This would be brilliant!

> Thank you Jay, you are adding nice and useful features to lily!

I'll add my thanks to that. Looking forward to it, Jay!

Best,
Abraham