Re: Definition of make-music

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Definition of make-music
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 18:41:26 +0000

On 5/30/17 12:18 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Charles Winston"
<address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

>Could someone tell me where the make-music function is defined? I¹m
>trying to understand the internals, and since make-music is used so
>frequently to create music expressions I want to concretely understand
>what it does. Also, any helpful explanation of what the function does
>would be great, too.

I believe that you can find the definition of make-music in the file
scm/define-music-types.scm, line 778  The docstring tells what it does.

I found this file by using git grep.  By the name, I knew it couldn't be
C++ code, because C++ functions can't have a - character in them.  So I
did

$cd scm/
$git grep make-music

then searched through the output until I found one entry with "define" in
it.  I guess I could have made it easier by instead doing

$cd scm/
$git grep make-music | grep define

I'm telling you this because git grep is your friend; you will want to
learn to use this tool well when trying to work your way through the
LilyPond source code.

HTH,

Carl