Re: ‘Know which branch we’re on’ on Ubuntu 16

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: ‘Know which branch we’re on’ on Ubuntu 16
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 19:21:09 +0200

On 04.06.2017 19:02, David Kastrup wrote:
Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:
Hello,

finally I’ve managed to get Ubuntu 16.04 working, and copied all of my
previous home directory including .bashrc. However, the ‘export PS1’
trick suggested in
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/setting-up#configuring-git>
with the following line in .bashrc:

export PS1="address@hidden \w\$(__git_ps1)$ "

doesn’t seem to work the same anymore: upon any command I execute in
the terminal I get an error message ‘__git_ps1: command not
found’. Can anyone give me a hint how to update this?
The manual also says:

     You may need to install the additional bash-completion package, but
     it is definitely worth it. After installation you must log out, and
     then log back in again to enable it.

I did check for that: bash-completion had already been installed. But the solution was even dumber: Embarrassingly I didn’t have git installed… sorry for the noise ;-)

Best, Simon