Re: event-chord-iterator

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: event-chord-iterator
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 06:55:24 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been working with Charles Winston on the chord semantics GSOC project.
>
> I've found what I think is an obsolete piece of code in
> lily/event-chord-iterator.cc
>
> for (SCM s = get_music ()->get_property ("articulations");
>       scm_is_pair (s); s = scm_cdr (s))
>   {
>     Music *mus = unsmob<Music> (scm_car (s));
>     report_event (mus);
>   }
>
> As far as I can see, an EventChord no longer has an 'articulations
> property;

It never had.

> instead, the articulations are stored as an 'articulations item in
> 'elements.

All post events are stored in 'elements, not as an 'articulations item.

> Should this code be eliminated?

Have you tried running "git blame" on the passage?  It leads to commit

commit d22c6ec121fc0a5740fc7c6ca4277db56d0a4e7d
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Wed Feb 8 10:53:38 2012 +0100

    Let EventChord replay articulations

and searching for the commit in the issue tracker leads to

<https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/2303/>

with the code review

<https://codereview.appspot.com/5643060>

While LilyPond produces the same expressions as always, user code is
allowed to be more sloppy in order to simplify user-level programming.

This is quite deliberate.