Re: I'm to teach LilyPond officially again

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: I'm to teach LilyPond officially again
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 00:02:28 +0200

El 19/06/17 a las 17:15, tisimst escribió:
> Hi, Francisco!
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Francisco Vila [via Lilypond] <
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Some time ago I was teaching LilyPond in a Conservatoire, then stopped
>> doing so, now I'm doing it again! The course is October to June and it's
>> optional and open to all four levels of High Music Education.
>>
>> I'm delighted because I was already missing giving lectures to groups. I
>> plan to keep all as practice-oriented as possible with a minimum of
>> theoretical issues beyond what's strictly necessary to understand some
>> issues.
>>
>> I have plenty of teaching material, including my 30 weekly lessons plus
>> lesson zero.
>>
>> "Lesson Zero" is \\\\{}{}''''~~~ %%%% in a Spanish keyboard, I think
>> once achieved that, all else is easy :-)
>>
>> I'll use Frescobaldi, lilybin, OLy for OOo, and more. Students will also
>> learn to enter LP music in wikipedia.
>>
>> Any suggestions are welcome.
>>
> Congrats! That's very exciting news. How well has this course been
> received/attended? Do the students feel like they come out of it having
> learned something useful?
>
> Best,
> Abraham

Well, back then it was a successful course, with IIRW 15 to 20 students.
It's fun because the material is made of short, well-known excerpts.
Nowadays it is going to be much smoother because Frescobaldi exists and
it's mature. Those first editions, years ago, all was Windows Notepad
and jEdit with lilypondtool.
I took the opportunity of teaching free software issues, copyleft
licenses and all that. Just imagine it in a Windows-only ecosystem;
today there is much more Libreoffice and Firefox, for example, but 99,9%
still use pirated Finale/Sibelius for music.
All in all, things are going to be somewhat different (and I have more
experience now, as well).

>From the POV of the students themselves, the most outstanding aspect is
print quality of LilyPond which tends to justify (in part, at least) all
the hassle with text-orientness.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , csmbadajoz.com