Re: Using/requiring Cairo

From: karl
Subject: Re: Using/requiring Cairo
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 18:14:58 +0200 (CEST)

David Kastrup:
> The main question mark would concern font handling
> but I think it integrates with FreeType as well as Pango.

 cairo has support for freetype
https://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-FreeType-Fonts.html

 pango has support for cairo:
https://developer.gnome.org/pango/stable/pango-Cairo-Rendering.html

///

Citating https://www.cairographics.org/manual/cairo-text.html

 Description

 The functions with text in their name form cairo's toy text API. The
 toy API takes UTF-8 encoded text and is limited in its functionality
 to rendering simple left-to-right text with no advanced
 features. That means for example that most complex scripts like
 Hebrew, Arabic, and Indic scripts are out of question. No kerning or
 correct positioning of diacritical marks either. The font selection
 is pretty limited too and doesn't handle the case that the selected
 font does not cover the characters in the text. This set of functions
 are really that, a toy text API, for testing and demonstration
 purposes. Any serious application should avoid them.

 The functions with glyphs in their name form cairo's low-level text
 API. The low-level API relies on the user to convert text to a set of
 glyph indexes and positions. This is a very hard problem and is best
 handled by external libraries, like the pangocairo that is part of
 the Pango text layout and rendering library. Pango is available from
 http://www.pango.org/.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data