Re: Any objections to branching off a stable branch for 2.20?

From: Paul
Subject: Re: Any objections to branching off a stable branch for 2.20?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:37:36 -0400

On 07/17/2017 02:14 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

Currently there is a bit of a lull (not entirely graceful due to me not
keeping up with things all the best), so the time seems convenient.

No objections here. What's the latest thinking/status for issue 3884? Anything I can / should do?

Patch: Add on-page-greater-than, -less-than (on-the-fly)

There are a few "critical" bugs outstanding, the "Changes" document
should be reordered to be systematic rather than in reverse time order,
and I'd want to add a bit of syntactic Scheme and LilyPond sugar of the

\markup blabla = \markup \with-color #red \etc

I like the goal of defining named markup functions via \etc but I find this syntax a bit odd, with the `=` to the right of `\markup` . I can't think of other cases in LilyPond like this:

\onething another =

where a '\' is to the left of an `=`. It's usually `a = b` or `\a b` but not `\a = b` or `\a b = c`.

Are there other options that wouldn't introduce this new pattern? Would something like this work?

\define-markup blabla \markup \with-color #red \etc

variety in order to define named markup functions via \etc .  Basically,
this would split define-markup-command into a definition part called by

\markup blabla = ...

and a function part, say
(markup-lambda (layout props arg) (markup?)
    #:properties ....)

that can be generated by a \markup ... \etc expression or other means.

Basically, that's mainly for avoiding the current "ugh" of

blabla-markup = \markup ... \etc

I agree this is "ugh".

-Paul