Re: Should we have a from-barline property in analogy to to-barline ?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Should we have a from-barline property in analogy to to-barline ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 15:20:18 +0200

On 24.07.2017 13:58, David Kastrup wrote:
Seems like an obvious addition.  Would make stuff (like slurs, hairpins
and so on) starting at the bar move backwards to the bar line.  Probably
also useful for non-spanners like a \fermata ?

I have difficulty imagining use cases. Is to-barline really used for anything else than hairpins? In hairpins there are just those two different conventions (or preferences, or use cases) where a (de)crescendo which musically ends on the first beat of the next bar may be drawn up to that beat or to the barline, but there is no analogy to that at the beginning of the bar. (Except that in manuscripts and hand-engravings hairpins often don’t align with notes or anything to any kind of precision, so there are probably enough examples for hairpins starting on barlines.) I certainly can imagine that _attaching_ spanners, or fermatas, to barlines would be great. Which would not involve a from-barline property, but rather, … uhm, … making bar lines events? (always? only if necessary?) (Standard disclaimer: this is not a serious proposal due to my lack of knowledge on implementation)

Best, Simon