Re: Strange behavior of lilypond-book in self compiled install

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Strange behavior of lilypond-book in self compiled install
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 17:27:05 +0200

On 29/09/17 09:47, Francisco Vila wrote:
> Hello,
> In 2.19.80 (git translation branch) it happens that lilypond-book thinks
> it is musicxml2ly and behaves as such. When I install our pre-compiled
> version 2.19.65 from the web, everything looks right.
>
> I lack the knowledge to debug this, but I'd thank any clue to begin
> with. Thank you!

If a program behaving like another program is not the strangest thing
you have seen, well, for me it is.

Both musicxml2ly and lilypond-book are in fact the same program, a
python wrapper, which looks at `basename $0' to decide who is himself. I
still can not imagine which advantage could this provide against
different programs really being different programs, but the reality is
that the practice could potentially lead to a program believing he is
something else, which does not look good.

Here my wisdom comes to an end, and I still --still-- can not figure out
why my compiled version called as lilypond-book makes `basename $0' give
musicxml2ly as result. Crazy!

--

Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , csmbadajoz.com