Re[2]: New Status "Shelved" in LilyPond Bug Tracker

From: Trevor
Subject: Re[2]: New Status "Shelved" in LilyPond Bug Tracker
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:53:59 +0000

James Lowe wrote 13/12/2017 12:14:59

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 16:50:01 +0000, Trevor <address@hidden>
wrote:

Devs and Bug Trackers

I have implemented a new Status field in the Issues Tracker at
SourceForge: Status:Shelved, with the meaning:

"Probably desirable, but impractical to implement at present due to
lack
of resources".

There is also a new Search: Open (Shelved) to list them.

ATM only one Issue has this Status,
https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5244/ but there are
lots
of other existing issues that could be assigned to it, when someone
has
a few spare moments to go through the Issues to find them.

Without getting into unnecessary semantics with dictionary definitions
etc. how does this 'status' differ, so to speak, from an issue that is
simply marked as an 'enhancement' and has the 'Status' field either
blank or set to 'accepted'.
You raise a valid point and maybe there is no clear distinction; but
there could be one of degree.

An Issue marked Accepted/Enhancement sounds to me very positive,
suggesting that there might be hope this could be implemented relatively
quickly: implying it has been assessed ("Accepted") and considered to be
a practical and desirable enhancement.

Whereas giving an Issue the status of Shelved makes it plain there are
absolutely no plans to implement this in the foreseeable future: it has
not yet been assessed and is not yet Accepted; it is just a marker
meaning it might be considered at some unspecified time in the future.

Does that accord with your understanding, David?

After all, I suspect that 'many' enhancements (if not all) on our
tracker list could be classed as "... impractical to implement at
present due to lack of resources"

Yes; as I suggested earlier (above): there may be many Issues that could
be so reclassified.

Trevor

ps Apologies if the nesting of original email and my replies is not
right - I'm struggling with a new mail client ATM and I noticed an
earlier reply of mine was not nested correctly.

---
http://www.avg.com