Re: issue 3208: MMRs for > 1 m. only count m. (issue 333340043 by addres

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: issue 3208: MMRs for > 1 m. only count m. (issue 333340043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 03:22:45 -0800

On 2017/12/28 11:14:18, Malte Meyn wrote:
While trying to fix that the following question came to my mind:

Do we really want the compressed rests to respect
usable-duration-logs?

PRO: The user could want to be able to change the behaviour (f. e.
don’t use
maxima rests for ≥ 8 bars rest but two longa rests).
CON: The user could want semibreve/whole rests for every time
signature
(including long durations like \time 17/2) but compressed rests (f. e.
R2*17*6
for 6 bars rest in \time 17/2) should use longer values (a longa and a
breve in
this case).

PRO: Backwards-compatibility in cases like
  {
    \compressFullBarRests
    \override MultiMeasureRest.usable-duration-logs = #'(0 -1)
    \time 4/4
    R1*6
  }
(But would we want that?)
PRO: You wouldn’t need another grob property if you want to change the
behaviour of compressed rests.
CON: You could havenother grob property and control the behaviour of
single bar and compressed rests independently.
CON: It’s easier to code (at least if you don’t have such an extra
property).

https://codereview.appspot.com/333340043/