Re: issue 3208: MMRs for > 1 m. only count m. (issue 333340043 by addres

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: issue 3208: MMRs for > 1 m. only count m. (issue 333340043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 21:02:01 +0100

> On 2018/01/04 19:48:36, benko.pal wrote:
>>
>> is there an example where a single measure rest looks different standing
>> alone
>> than one in an expanded multi-measure rest of odd measures?
>
> Not in Gould’s “Behind Bars”, neither in Gardner Read’s “Music
> notation”. They both don’t mention compressed rests in combination with
> longer measures.
>
> I’ve got the impression that neither LilyPond’s current behaviour nor my
> suggested patch are optimal. I’ve sent this question to some major music
> publishers, maybe they can help ;)

Great, I hope some of those will reply.  My entirely irrelevant
preferences lean towards the current behaviour; I expect it matches
Bach's practice (relevant principles of mensural notation were sort of
known), but I know it doesn't match modern printing.  Of Werner's
examples I prefer the Saint-Saëns one (do the same as for common bar
lengths as 4/4 or 3/8, but mark every single full measure rest by an
explicit "1") to the NBA one (I expect they avoid printing a
multi-measure rest of odd length, and instead of a 7 bar rest they
print a 6-bar multi-measure rest and a standalone single full measure
rest; if that's really so, it would be quite a big nuisance to
implement in LilyPond).