Development on macOS

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Development on macOS
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 14:44:26 -0500

I’m starting to overcome inertia and get back into LilyPond development.  I am
hoping to keep the LilyPond source on a macOS host and build with LilyDev 4.1
in VirtualBox, accessing the source via a read-only shared folder.  The main
advantage is that I can exclude the gigantic VM disk image from my automated
backups without excluding my LilyPond workspace.  Not having to move my
workspace next time I switch VM images will be nice too.

I’m happy to say that only a couple minor changes have been necessary to reach
the point of regression testing.  (This just in: make doc wants to create a
hard link. Meh.)

Now, the questions: Is anyone willing to rate the value of the Mac OS X
information in the Contributors’ Guide?  Is anyone building natively on macOS?
The CG says the instructions were tested on OS X 10.5; that was current from
2007 to 2009.

If I receive no response, then when I update the CG to describe my new setup
(assuming I can overcome the remaining issues), I will be inclined to remove
material on Mac OS X that has not been useful in this effort.

Regards,
—
Dan