Re: Is Patchy running?

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Is Patchy running?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 12:16:26 +0000 (GMT)

Dan

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 18:03:04 -0500, Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 05:12, James Lowe <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Yes David is correct. I do run the patches manually. Others have been known
> > to also test patches ;) but you have to make sure that you do a full reg
> > test and full make doc which can take a long time on some machines, I had a
> > relatively powerful machine/server at home and work and so don't mind
> > running patches manually.
>
> How manual is manual?  Do you mean you trigger some script that used to be
> triggered automatically by patch submission, or do you mean entirely
> manually, starting with navigating to the code review tool, downloading the
> patch, applying it … ?

Since we moved from google's code review to Source Forge it is entirely manual
in terms of downloading the patch file, although the steps to run the 'tests'
locally is just a bunch of serially issued commands which I have configured up
as an alias.

When we were on google code instead of Sourceforge the downloading and
application of patches as well as the commands to test was completely scripted
and I ran it as a cron job - you can see the script in the lilypond-extra repo
(and I think there is still commented out references in the CG to the patchy
test scripts - test-patches.py - if it ever gets reinstated).

Don't forget though that even with the entirely scripted patch test, someone
still has to always, manually check the reg test diffs visually.

However it does make it more convenient to cron a script for the entire
download patch/build/apply patch/test process even if you still have to check
the reg test diffs.

James