Re: Issue 5272: Add \depart <markup> (issue 337520043 by address@hidden)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Issue 5272: Add \depart <markup> (issue 337520043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 16:02:50 +0000

On 2/7/18, 8:55 AM, "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden> wrote:

    Hi Carl,

    Of all suggestions so far, I most like your flow/Flow the most.

    > If we want to capture semantics properly, I believe we need to recognize
that there are three different kinds of marks:
    > 1) "jump-from" marks (D.S. al ..., D.C. al ..., To Coda)
    > 2) "jump-to" marks (Segno, beginning of piece, coda)
    > 3) "stop playing" marks (Fine, end of piece)

    +1

    > \depart
    > \join
    > \fine

    Since the first two are English, is there an English term (e.g., \end,
\stop) that could be found for the third?

\end, \stop, \terminate, \finish

Or maybe we try to capture that it's a mark for the ending, rather than the end
of the piece

\markEnd

    Or maybe find an Italian term for all three?

For me, it's not the Italian part, it's the "musical" part, that is, what do I
see when I read the music.  The fact that it is Italian is secondary.  That
being said, the \fine command is a bit weird, because it could be confused with
the English word "fine" meaning "OK" (or perhaps even "punitive charge").  So I
think it is better to follow your suggestion and use all English words, and I
think my preferred choice is \end.

Thanks,

Carl