Re: GSoC Follow-Up

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: GSoC Follow-Up
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 23:01:34 -0500

Hi Ed,

> I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions about doing a project with stylesheets,
> which seems to be the project I plan on applying with.  What would everyone
> want to see in the project?

Here are some thoughts (stream-of-consciousness):

1. I want to be able to arbitrarily mix and match styles, in any order, without
triggering conflicts and other problems. Currently in Lilypond, depending on
which order you set the global font size versus load a stylesheet, initial
settings can get overwritten/lost for what seems like no good reason.
Obviously, there has to be some sort of determination of precedence — I'm
assuming [like CSS] it would be cascading, and last-applied-wins.

2. I would like graceful fallback options (cf. CSS font-family lists), so that
sharing stylesheets isn't a nightmare (e.g., if the person you share with is
lacking the font you call for). Currently in Lilypond, the fallback situation —
especially font-related — borders on catastrophic.

3. Naturally, Lilypond should use the new system "100% natively" (which is why
you’re on board), not as some sort of add-on that requires an additional
library (e.g., OLL).

That's it for now. If I think of anything else, I'll send another response.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info