Re: [GSoC 2018] Introduce myself

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2018] Introduce myself
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 09:27:53 +0100

Hello Wang,

Am 22.02.2018 um 12:39 schrieb Yijie Wang:
  Hi everyone,
My name is Yijie Wang, I'm a Computer Science sophomore from Beijing
Jiaotong University, China. I have knowledge of C++, Python and Java.
Lilypond is a very useful tool for me and I would love to be a part of
improving it.

After looking through this year's Lilypond idealist, I found the project
"Rewrite LibreOffice LilyPond Extension with Python" is quite interesting
and I'd like to work on it as a GSoC project. I've read some code of
Frescobaldi and made some small contribution. I'm going to learn more about
LilyPond, python-ly, PyQt and LibreOffice extension basics in next few
days. If you have some suggestions or more information, don't hesitate to
tell me.

The most "interesting" field to investigate before actually planning the project is how a Python extension in LibreOffice can integrate "third-party" code. That is: how can you include python-ly (does it have to be installed manually, can it be somehow fetched automatically through Git or pip)? how can that Python extension make use of PyQt for its GUI? (How) is it possible to load code from Frescobaldi, or is this not necessary (because the more basic and fundamental python-ly functionality is sufficient)?

Maybe it makes sense to find and register with a suitable LibreOffice mailing list too.

HTH
Urs

Thanks for reading this, I look forward to contributing to the
Lilypond community in this opportunity.

Best regards,
Wang