Re: LilyDev - some questions

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: LilyDev - some questions
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 00:08:07 -0400

On Aug 27, 2018, at 10:32, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:

> Trying Docker was on my TODO list... Can you send the Docker file?
> I'd like to add it to LilyDev repository.

I’ve attached what I’m using now, with a little documentation.  You are welcome
to add it to your LilyDev repository.  It is based on Ubuntu 18.04 with GCC 8
and takes Guile 1.6 from Ubuntu 16.04.

There are the following TODOs, caveats, and observations.

GCC 8 spews warnings like a fire hose.

I know that the script to update snippets sourced from the LSR was not written
with a read-only source directory in mind.  It might work as designed if the
source directory were mounted with full access, but I haven’t tested it yet.
There is a chance it will still not work because the source and build
directories are separate.

The time zone in the container is UTC.  It’s not a major problem, but local
time would be more comfortable.

I would have liked to omit git, but test-related makefile targets run it.

I omitted the curl package because I saw no need for it.

I omitted the following font packages.  The build succeeded, but I don’t know
if there’s more to be concerned about than that.

  • emacs-intl-fonts
  • xfonts-intl-arabic
  • xfonts-intl-asian
  • xfonts-intl-chinese
  • xfonts-intl-chinese-big
  • xfonts-intl-european
  • xfonts-intl-japanese
  • xfonts-intl-japanese-big
  • xfonts-intl-phonetic

I added the fonts-urw-base35 package.  I thought that that might fix the last
remaining warning that configure produces, which is about OTF files, but it
didn’t.  I haven’t educated myself enough to understand the situation.

Regards,
—
Dan