Re: LilyDev 0.3 sha256sum

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: LilyDev 0.3 sha256sum
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 20:47:53 -0500

Hi Andrew,

On 12/13/18 6:17 PM, Andrew Bernard wrote:
[I don't know anything about containers, but I am willing to learn. But it
would be goodo to get the VM machine going alos.]

I also recommend the container approach.  I hadn't used them before Federico brought them to LilyDev.

Basically after following the setup steps you end up with an open terminal and that is how you access and use the container environment (there's no GUI like with VirtualBox VM).  In that container terminal you run make, make doc, etc., anything that needs the dependencies, and that's basically all you need to use the container for.

You can access the source code files and edit them in your usual (host) OS using your usual tools.  Also using git and pushing patches up to Reitveld can be done in the host environment (where you have access to a browser, etc.).

It's nicer to use than a VM because you work in your familiar OS with familiar tools, and you basically get the full power of your machine (in terms of RAM, etc.) when compiling.

I'd like to add details like this on how it works to the LilyDev documentation if I can find time.

Thanks for working on the Python migration, BTW.

Cheers,
-Paul