Re: Use "simple strings" rather than #"hash-prefixed Scheme strings" (is

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: Use "simple strings" rather than #"hash-prefixed Scheme strings" (issue 363910043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 11:31:07 -0800

On 2019/02/10 18:41:33, Carl wrote:
Because this represents a change in the documentation policy as listed
in the
CG, I think it should be discussed.

In the past, one could get along by saying "All properties start with
#", even
though it wasn't strictly necessary.  With this new change, once must
understand
which properties need # and which don't.

I think the following is correct, although I haven't tested it:

Numbers -- don't need #

I think I remember some cases where # is requiered for numbers, not
sure, though

Simple strings -- don't need #

In markup-mode they do

Scm values do need #
   Boolean #f, #t
   Symbols
   Scheme expressions

Though, we already can do:

xy = foo,bar,buzz
zz = foo

\void \displayScheme \xy
\void \displayScheme \zz

The first is a list of symbols, the second a string.

Some detailed documentation wouldn't be wrong, but I have the feeling
there are too many things which require # and many which do not.
So saying: always start with # is not that bad, imho

Where will this be documented?

Learning Manual?

To summarize, I'm a bit undecided about this patch, but probably I
weakly tend not to do it.

https://codereview.appspot.com/363910043/