Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 11:04:09 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I don't have access to a mac, I don't think that I know anybody who
>>> uses one within a 20 miles radius, and my knowledge of MacOS is
>>> almost limited to the single information that it does exist.
>>> Therefore I definitely will not work on 64-bit mac support in gub.
>
> I just want to remark that building lilypond on recent MacOS versions
> work just fine (see, for example, the `lilypond-devel' package for
> MacPorts).
>
>> Could anyone describe the process GUB uses to produce the current
>> macOS installer?  Maybe at least a starting point for research on
>> 64-bit macOS builds could be determined.  Or at a "guided tour" of
>> GUB sources in this area, to help newcomers to the code understand
>> what they'll be looking at.
>
> We don't have that yet, sorry.  The process of providing 64bit support
> would start with defining `darwin-64' as an allowed platform to build
> on and to build for, then looking for a suitable Apple SDK for
> compilation and installation.[*]

It may well be that the licensing conditions of any such SDK spell
end-of-line for MacOSX support since Apple is allergic to the GPL-v3.
It's conceivable that an OpenDarwin SDK without graphics support (after
all, we don't really need it, even if it means lack of supporting
platform fonts) could work instead.

So "suitable Apple SDK" does not just mean "can be made to work" but
also "is legally permitted to be made to work".