Re: Subjects

From: David R. Linn
Subject: Re: Subjects
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:19:23 -0500 (CDT)

>> From: Thomas Willhalm <address@hidden>
>> To: address@hidden
>> Subject: Subjects
>> Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:26:43 +0200
>>
>> now, when there are changes to the mailing lists, I would like to suggest
>> that in every email from the list, some key word like "lily:" is
>> automatically included in the subject line. If the key word is already
>> included, the subject wouldn't change.

>> If the mailing list software supports such sort of things, I would like
>> to suggest that we use them.

strongly opposed the inclusion of such tags.

1) They waste space (disk and bandwidth)

2) They interact *badly* with insertion of "Re:" and "Fwd:"; some
   (naive) implementations also interact badly with digesting

3) It is easy to use other attributes of a message (I've left several
  of the more obvious other attributes in the parts of Thomas's  message
  that I quoted) to automatically recognize, in your LDA or your MUA,
  that a message is from a GNU Music or Lilypond list and add the header
  locally, display the message in a separate message group or even store
  it in a different mailbox.

If you don't know how to do #3 for your LDA or MUA, there are probably
FAQs or other documentation to which you can be pointed if you ask.  That
way you can have your tags and I can have my lack of tags and my saved
bandwidth.

         David