Re: tex is running out of room for \dimen

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: tex is running out of room for \dimen
Date: 30 Aug 2001 08:53:41 -0400

I had asked this question on the list previously:

    Laura> My complete dowland "book" is now over 150 pages, which is large
    Laura> compared to my other lilypond book files, and maybe for lilypond-book
    Laura> input files in general, but certainly not large as compared with lots
    Laura> of LaTeX files in the world.

    Laura> Since I added the last two or three songs to the book, I have been
    Laura> getting several error messages whenever I run latex on the
    Laura> lilypond-book output:

    Laura> ! No room for a new \dimen .
    Laura> address@hidden ...\else \errmessage {No room for a new #3}
    Laura>                                                   \fi
    Laura> l.389 }\input lilyponddefs\newdimen\outputscale

\outputscale=\lilypondpapero...

    Laura> ?

    Laura> As far as I can tell, they're harmless; I just hit carriage return at
    Laura> the question mark, and the latex output seems to be fine.  But does
    Laura> anyone know what I should do to get rid of them?

Since I didn't get any answer here, I tried  asking on comp.text.tex,
and Peter Wilson asked whether the \newdimen\outputscale occurred more
than once, and I checked, and lilypond-book seems to be putting it
into every .tex file it generates.  So I asked him whether that was a
bug, and he replied:

    Peter>     If it isn't a bug it's certainly a major infelicity. It is
possible to
    Peter> write code to check if a command has already been defined or if a
file has
    Peter> has been previously input, so they can correct the problem.

    Peter>     For the latter something along the lines (where FILE is the name
of a
    Peter> file to be input):
    Peter> % FILE.tex
    Peter> \ifx\FILEisloaded\relax\endinput\else\let\FILEisloaded=\relax\fi
    Peter> .... definitions/code (will be read only once)
    Peter> \endinput
    Peter> % end of FILE.tex

Could lilypond-book be revised to include logic like this?

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139