Two-voice/shifting problem

From: Daniel Burrows
Subject: Two-voice/shifting problem
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:15:44 -0400

  I'm trying to figure out how to typeset a scrap of piano music which (at
the point I'm stuck on) has two `voices' in one hand.  This being piano
music, one voice is playing a series of chords while the other one is held
throughout the measure.

  The problem is that the voices are intermingled, so simply putting them
on top of one another causes unpleasant overlapping of the stems.  The
solution is to shift one of the voices left or right (for an example of
this, see the Henle Urtext edition of the Sarabande from
Debussy's Pour le Piano)
  Unfortunately, I can't seem to convince Lilypond that it should shift the
notes by itself.  It seems like \shiftOn is only effective when there
are three or more voices on a staff, and/or the notes aren't close enough
vertically to cause a collision.  (the notes are g, bf', and g' (quarter
notes), with c' sustained as a dotten half note)
  The only solution I've found is to set Voice.NoteColumn.force-shift.
  Is there any cleaner way to do this?  (I really don't like manually
laying out the score if I can avoid it..)

   Thanks,
  Daniel

--
/-------------------- Daniel Burrows <address@hidden> --------------------\
|   It is very dark.  If you proceed you are likely to be eaten by a grue.    |