Re: Rehearsal Mark positioning

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Rehearsal Mark positioning
Date: 01 Sep 2001 09:47:16 -0400

    Guy> I have found the trick to get rehearsal marks to work is usually a
    Guy> combination of inserting a dummy bar line into the music, ie.
    Guy>        \bar ""
    Guy> and using the line
    Guy>        \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'extra-offset = #'( x . y )
    Guy> where x and y are the distance I need to move the mark.

Thanks, this sort of works.  The marks have to move a slightly
different distance depending on what they're above, so it isn't
perfect, but it's definitely better than having them smack in between
the notes.  For the record, the numbers I used are:

\property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'extra-offset = #'( -3 . 0 )

For the way I have my unbarred parts set up,

        \bar ""

doesn't seem to be necessary.

There is a problem when the rehearsal mark is at a linebreak, because
lilypond is trying to put it on the next line, so the extra-offset
just moves it into the left margin of the line after the note it
should be attached to.  (see the cantus part letter H in

        http://serpent.laymusic.org/lconrad/homepage/toweb/lungi.zip
        http://serpent.laymusic.org/lconrad/homepage/toweb/lungi.ps

for an example.)  I can work around this by inserting \noBreak after
the mark.  But I think for my purposes it's probably long-term better to
a note that I want.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139