Fwd: Re: editorial accidentals-repost to proper group

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Fwd: Re: editorial accidentals-repost to proper group
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:53:38 +0200

Sorry,  I  keep  forgetting to forward these messages to the
list.

Hi William,

WRB> I'm at the point where I'm adding ficta/mode-change notations to my
WRB> first 30 files...except I can't see where lily has anything built-in to
WRB> handle the raised editorial signs. If someone could point it out to me,
WRB> I'd be grateful. If this really isn't in Lilypond yet, I suspect it
WRB> should be.
Mats  had  already  figured  this  one  out  when discussing
figured  bass.  Here  are  the "definitions" that you should
include in each file (ie:put this in a raised_accidentals.ly
in  the  lilypond\share\ly folder then use the \include com-
and) :

     #(define text-flat '((font-relative-size . -2)
              ((raise . 0.2) (music "accidentals--1"))))
     #(define text-natural '((font-relative-size . -2)
              ((raise . 0.35) (music "accidentals-0"))))
     #(define text-sharp '((font-relative-size . -2)
              ((raise . 0.35) (music "accidentals-1"))))

Then simply use it with the text markup system :

     \include "raised_accidental.ly"
     c^#`(,text-sharp)

WRB> The rules seem to be that the editorial accidentals are on the order of
WRB> 2/3-the-size of the normal ones, centered on the note and placed over
WRB> it.
You can't do anything about the size except trying to change
the  font  size,  or using a smaller accidental (this is the
one  used  with  grace  notes, so I figure there isn't), and
there  shouldn't  be  anything  to  center (the acc. will be
right over the note).

WRB> The bottom point of the accidental hovers half a staff-space above
WRB> the top line of the staff or the top of the note head or stem if either
WRB> protrude above the top of the staff.
Well,  since  to  my  knowledge  text  markup is positionned
relatively from the note (maybe there's a property to speci-
fy  otherwise),  to have something just above the staff, you
could use a lyric line.

--
Best regards,
 Jérémie                            mailto:address@hidden