Re: Chord name size in Lilypond 1.4.2

From: Jonathan Woithe
Subject: Re: Chord name size in Lilypond 1.4.2
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:58:00 +0930 (CST)

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:54:07PM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > > This causes considerable
> > > problems when chords follow rapidly on from one another - the names run
> > > together and you get an incomprehensible mess.
> > (see chord-name.scm).  I am no chord-name guru, so I don't know the
> > proper solution
> So what is your problem, are the chord names too big, or is it only
> the clashes that bother you?

I personally feel that as supplied, Lilypond 1.4.x uses too large a font for
the chord names.  Under 1.2.17 the chordnames were, AFAIK typeset using a
smaller font.  IMHO, that size was more appropriate than the size we have
now.

It should be emphasised that the names don't actually collide or overlap.
However, they do simply run into each other.  Eg: like
  F#m/C#B/D#

> You could try making word-space bigger, so that chords don't
> overlap.
>     \property ChordNames.ChordName \override #'word-space = #2

I'll give this a go and see what happens.  However, I still think that the
default size of chord names is too large.  I accept that this size has been
chosen by the developers for their own reasons and have no problem with
that; however, it would be nice if there was a simple way a .ly source file
could request smaller chordname sizes if the author didn't agree with the
default size.  The size of just about everything else is easily
configurable ...

Regards
  jonathan
--