Re: cleverer stem direction

From: William R. Brohinsky
Subject: Re: cleverer stem direction
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:08:29 -0400

For what it's worth, when I took music theory, we were advised (and this
is in consonance with numerous music copy tutorial books, I can quote
references for some if needed) to keep stems in one direction when
passing through the middle line of the staff.

Thus, for a scale starting on the bottom line and going to the top, the
middle line stem would be up, because the previous notes' stems had been
going up. Coming back down, the stem would be down, because previous
stems had been down. In this case, Mr. Martelli's case would be
satisfied, as well as those cases where c b a calls for the stem
reversal at a, not b, and c b a b c has the b with stem down first and
then up.

raybro