Re: Compile Troubles

From: Bob Schmertz
Subject: Re: Compile Troubles
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 13:50:32 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Alan McConnell wrote:

>end.  Here are the last few lines of the stdout of make:
>
>(start)----------------------------
>lexer.ll: In member function `virtual int My_lily_lexer::yylex()':
>lexer.ll:486: cannot convert `std::istream*' to `istream*' in assignment
>lexer.ll: In member function `void yyFlexLexer::yy_load_buffer_state()':
>lexer.ll:1009: cannot convert `istream*' to `std::istream*' in assignment
>lexer.ll: In member function `void
>   yyFlexLexer::yy_init_buffer(yy_buffer_state*, std::istream*)':
>lexer.ll:1060: cannot convert `std::istream*' to `istream*' in assignment

[some warnings snipped]

>make[1]: *** [out/lexer.o] Error 1
>rm out/lexer.cc
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/music/lilypond-1.4.8/lily'
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>
>                           -----------------------------(finish)
>
>I am running Debian Woody, gcc 3.0, and GNU make, version 3.79.1.

I have built LilyPond, with good old gcc 2.96, but not with gcc 3.0.  All
I could find was seemingly bad news, in particular this quote from
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/help-flex/2001-August/000245.html :

    > I cannot get a flex-generated parser compiled with gcc-3.0.1.
    > > Seems to be a minor problem with istream stuff.
    > However, when trying to patch it myself I really drowned in flex's
    > #ifdef jungle. Could you please have a look and fix that?

    This is in the works for the next release of flex. For now, if you can
    stick to gcc 2.95.3, you'll be better off. Let me know privately if
    that's not enough for you.

    --Will

Wish I could give you better news.  Seems like now is not the time to rely
on gcc 3.0 as your main compiler.

--
Bob
Registered Linux user #108026 -- http://counter.li.org