Descant Issue

From: david wynn
Subject: Descant Issue
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:01:27

I'm a new lilypond user. I ran across some hand-written music recently, and wanted to typeset it. Only I've run into a rather frustrating problem. This is a song with both regular lyrics and a descant. I've been trying to set up the music so that the music shows (starting from the top) guitar chords / descant staff / descant lyrics / piano treble staff / melody lyrics / piano bass staff.

Lilypond kept wanting to put the music in this order: guitar chords / descant staff / descant lyrics / melody lyrics / piano treble staff / piano bass staff. So, instead of the melody lyrics lying between the two piano staffs, it was above the piano music, with the descant lyrics.

I'm past that problem -- I made it look like an orchestral piece. New problem. Now each piece is in the right order, but the piano staffs show bar lines right through the melody lyrics. Of course I need to have the bar lines on the music itself, but I don't want the bar lines running between the staffs -- through the lyrics.

Because this music is not in the public domain, I don't want to send along the full file, but I am including the Score piece of the file for you to review. If you have a solution to provide the music in the order mentioned above, with no bar lines through the lyrics, let me know!

David Wynn

\score {
\notes <
        \context StaffGroup = extra <
                \context ChordNames \TheChords
                \context Staff <
                        \clef treble
                        \time 3/4
                        \key d \major
                        \addlyrics
                                \Descant
                                \context Lyrics \DesText

        \context StaffGroup = piano <
                \context Staff <
                        \clef treble
                        \property Staff.automaticMelismata = ##t
                        \key d \major
                        \addlyrics
                                \Melody
                                \context Lyrics \text