Re: (no subject) (fwd)

From: David Boersma
Subject: Re: (no subject) (fwd)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:49:54 +0100 (MET)

Hi (I sent this already yesterday but forgot to Cc ot lily-user),

> I try to write blank staves in a score, but I don't know how to do this ...
> can you tell me the procedure?
> thanks in advance.

(are you going to typeset 7min of silence by John Cage? :-)

Well, now serious: I assume that you are not looking for blank music
paper, because you would have found it in
http://lilypond.org/wiki/?BlankMusicPaper. You also would know how to make
music with empty measures since you can compose whitespace with the 's'
note name (space) like in empty0.ly (attachment 1).

I assume that you want completely empty staves; let's say you are a music
teacher and for some exercise you want to prepare a piece of score with
some of the staves already filled in with music, others completely empty:
no bars, no clefs, no times signatures. The students have to fill that in.

Since the other staves need to behave normally, you cannot just modify the
Staff context like ...

\paper {
        \translator {
                \StaffContext
                        \remove Bar_engraver
                        \remove Time_signature_engraver
                        \remove Clef_engraver

... because that will kill the music in the other staves as well. So what
you want is a your own new staff context. In principle this should be
covered in the manual. I looked at:
http://www.lilypond.org/development/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Defining-new-contexts.html
which should be the complete HOWTO for new context creation but I failed.
I tried empty1.ly and empty2.ly (attachments 2 and 3) and tons of
obvious variations but all of them only give me an error: "warning: can't
find or create `EmptyStaffContext' called `bar'" and the result looks
identical to that of empty0.ly (probably because it defaults to normal
Staff context).

So even though your question sounded like a FAQ I can not help you. I
searched the online manual and I have been grepping in the ly/ and
input/regression/ directories but that did not provide me with working
ideas. So it's time for a higher ranked guru to step in. If he succeeds in
explaining me what I did wrong when I tried to create this EmptyStaff
context I will probably transform that into improvement suggestions for
the above-mentioned manualpage.

David Boersma

PS: I remember that on a similar question some time ago the trick was to
use \override on a \property to make the clef etc. transparent. That would
probably give the desired output, but it is a hack, not a solution. Why
can't I just define a context with *only* a staff symbol engraver?