Re: mac os x

From: J. David Blackstone
Subject: Re: mac os x
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:47:01 -0600

> Unless someone provides me with a apple machine, MacOS X and a wad of
> extra spare time, I won't be doing this in the near future. But maybe
> you could try to compile lily for MacOS X yourself -- we'd be glad to
> help you if you encounter problems.
>
> address@hidden writes:
>> I would like to suggest that you provide a binary for mac os x.  I was
>> just talking with the music department here at Reed College, and they
>> were complaining about Finale, especially its cost.  I told them how
>> mathematicians use TeX, and wondered why music people didn't have the
>> equivalent.  A google search revealed lilypond.
>>
>> A lot of academic users have macs.  Providing a mac os x binary
>> would probably not be too hard for you and would make lilypond
>> accessible to this audience.

  I intend to produce LilyPond on Mac of some sort one of these days.

  But David, with MacOS X, you should be able to produce the binary yourself.  I
don't know if MacOS X comes with gcc or not (haven't upgraded from 9 yet), but
you should be able to get it and any other tools you need from the net.  There
will probably be few if any changes LilyPond needs in order to operate there.
You just need to follow the same compilation and installation instructions as
for any other UNIX.

  Of course, if you've already tried that, and it didn't work, someone will have
to make some modifications.  That will happen some day.

jdb