Re: Almost built but not quite. Suggestions?

From: Jack J. Woehr
Subject: Re: Almost built but not quite. Suggestions?
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:12:39 -0700

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> > Each time bison ran, with the commands:
> >
> >      bison parser.yy
> >      mv parser.yy.tab.c out/parser.cc
> >
> > The parser.yy.tab.c file would be missing. So I descended manually and ran
> > bison there and then everything seemed okay.
>
> Strange, what was the error you got; and what bison command did you
> use that succeeded?  It looks like both commands
> were successful, and that's the cause of the link failure:

Well, I started again from scratch.

Here is the first failure:

     bison -d parser.yy
     mv parser.yy.tab.h out/parser.hh
     mv: cannot access parser.yy.tab.h
     make[1]: *** [out/parser.hh] Error 2
     make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/various/lilypond-stuff/lilypond-1.5.25/lily'

So I go into ./lily and look and here's the problem:

     [17:07:24
address@hidden:/usr/local/src/various/lilypond-stuff/lilypond-1.5.25/lily]$ ls
-l parse*
     -rw-r--r--   1 jax      staff     125227 Dec 15 17:01 parser.tab.cc
     -rw-r--r--   1 jax      staff       2912 Dec 15 17:01 parser.tab.hh
     -rw-r--r--   1 jax      staff      44850 Dec  1 07:34 parser.yy

Apparently the mv operation fails because bison isn't generating the file names
expected by the makefile.

I think I obscured the issue by re-running bison by hand.

For right now I will very carefully mv parser.tab.hh to out/parser.hh and
continue trying to build.

--
Jack J. Woehr      # The man who carries a cat by the tail
Senior Consultant  #   learns something that can be learned