Re: HELP on terms

From: Tim Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: HELP on terms
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:14:50 -0600

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 05:28:49PM -0600, Jack Trexler wrote:
>What is the musical term for a piece written in a minor key ending on  a
>major chord? I would appreciate your help. Sincerely Jack

  If you mean, for example, a piece written in Em, but the piece ends with an E
major chord, then I believe it's called a picardy-third.

  From http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/textp/Picardythird.html
  A practice from the 16th century and the Baroque era of ending a composition
with a major chord, when the rest of the composition is in a minor key, thus
giving the composition a sense of finality.

  Tim Nowaczyk

  <>< Truth