Re: Food for Thought (was: Shape notes, EZ play notation)

From: Glen Prideaux
Subject: Re: Food for Thought (was: Shape notes, EZ play notation)
Date: 20 Feb 2002 17:28:12 +0800

Amelie Zapf <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't intend to hurt anybody's feelings here, but wouldn't it be better to
> address the following problems before supporting yet another kind of "easy
> notation"?
>
> - Fully configurable bar line shapes linebreaks (end AND beginning of line)?
> - Rehearsal marks (esp. segnos/codas (o.k. codas are almost never in a first
>   line)) collide with heading if occuring in first line of song?
> - An easy-to-tweak chord symbol algorithm?
> - An easier way to write drum notation (not fussing with Threads all the
>   time)?
> - Percent repeats for 4 bars?
>
> The current opinion may have changed, but I've learned the piano with plain
> old round noteheads and I cannot say I've suffered because of that.

Shaped notes are used primarily (exclusively?) for voice. I've only
ever seen them in hymnals. They make sight reading much simpler for
those whose nearest approximation to perfect pitch is guessing the
right octave 60% of the time.

So it's horses for courses. As a singer I have no interest in chord
symbols. As a pianist Amelie has no interest in shaped notes. Fine.
People work at what they're interested in, and we develop something
with greater breadth of application. FWIW, I don't think it necessary to
address any particular problem *first*, since the work on different
areas is being done by different people, according to their individual
interests.

Glen
--
Glen Prideaux