Re: help with installation

From: Michael J McGonagle
Subject: Re: help with installation
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 11:30:46 -0600

Bob Schmertz wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:16:34PM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> >
> > blauw:~/usr/src/releases$ locate libintl
> > blauw:~/usr/src/releases$ rpm -qf /usr/include/libintl.h
> > glibc-devel-2.2.4-19.3
>
> Yes, I get about the same thing, but the "missing" file was a .so file,
> not a .h file.  Perhaps on some systems the libintl library is merged with
> glibc, while on others (including the system that was used to create the
> package) it's separate?

I ran these on my machine and this is what I come up with [... = deleted
entries]

mjm> locate libintl
/usr/include/libintl.h
mjm> rpm -qf /usr/include/libintl.h
glibc-devel-2.2.2-4mdk

I do wonder just how much the version numbers coorelate here. Han-Wen,
am I remembering you correctly that you are running Debian? Is the
Mandrake version using an older verion of the glibc-devel?

I feel like I am starting to chase my tail on this one, it really sounds
like what I need to do is to either upgrade to a later version of
Mandrake (8.2 or better), or change to another distribution.

My gut wants to change to Debian, but I have not REAL reason for
abandoning Mandrake, other than to try Debian. Does anyone have
experience with both? Pro's/Con's? Someone on another list basically
told me that his experience with both led him to stick with Debian. He
also had some good things to say about the packages that are available
for Debian.

Anyway, once again, thanks for you help,

Mike