Re: wrapping long textual markup

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: wrapping long textual markup
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:59:10 +0100

This is a tricky question. If I understand you correctly,
you want something like:

            First line of text, text text text text text
music music music music music music music music music music

the text continues here over the second line of music.
music music music music music music music music music music

I cannot think of any automatic way of doing this in Lilypond
if you don't want the spacing of text and music to interact
in any way other than having a common line break.

Would it be an alternative to have the following kind of
layout?

            First line of text, text text text text text
            the text continues over the same score line
            maybe several lines of text.
music music music music music music music music music music

In that case, you could use inline LaTeX to typeset the
text in a box of fixed width, but the problem is to know
what width to use if the sonnet doesn't start at the
beginning of a movement but somewhere in the middle.

Of course, a clumsy solution to your problem is to hard-code
the line breaks of the music using \break commands and then
splitting the sonnet into several text scripts, one for each
line. This will of course be more troublesome if you want it
typeset both in the score and in the separate parts.

In principle, Lilypond has all the knowledge needed to do
the requested line breaking, it's just a matter of implementing
the mechanism.

   /Mats