Re: First score attempt failed

From: Bob Schmertz
Subject: Re: First score attempt failed
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 12:58:48 -0400

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 07:10:08PM +0300, Ville V Sinkko wrote:

> Hi. I just installed Lilypond on a Mandrake 8.1 Linux system, but
> can't get it to produce sane results. I compiled a little test score
> with "lilypond -fps asdf.ly", and the resulting ps file shows a 'j'
> instead of a G clef, and $'s instead of note heads...
>
>  The input file and postscript result are
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~vsinkko/asdf.ly
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~vsinkko/asdf.ps

cs.helsinki.fi... an esteemed URL :)

> What am I doing wrong?

It is usually recommended not to use the command "lilypond" directly, but
rather, "ly2dvi".  The latter worked for me, while the command you gave
produced something like what you described.  ly2dvi produces a DVI output,
which can be viewed with xdvi, or converted to PostScript with dvips.  See
the archives and instructions for ways to produce other types of output.

Bob Schmertz
http://www.geocities.com/rschmertz/