Mandrake 8.2 and general RPM tips

From: George Orwell
Subject: Mandrake 8.2 and general RPM tips
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 18:19:00 +0000

Hi All-
I had exactly the same problem as George Guest and thought I'd post the solution.

The RPM built for Mandrake 8.2 does NOT force you to install all of the dependencies that are actually required. In addition to guile and tetex and their dependencies, you need to install the
tetex-latex
package as well. Without it, you get the "error 32512" from ly2dvi -P that was reported earlier.

Also, a couple random debugging tips:
o The first thing you should ever do when you have a problem like that is add --verbose. (e.g. "ly2dvi -P --verbose test.ly") o RPM will give that "db3" error that Laura and Michael were reporting if you are not logged in as root. In general, you must ALWAYS be root to install or upgrade anything using RPM.

Thanks,
Hans