Re: Grammar and music.

From: Martin Norbäck
Subject: Re: Grammar and music.
Date: 22 May 2002 21:58:57 +0200

ons 2002-05-22 klockan 13.25 skrev SOULLARD Clement:
> My aim is to make a Finale clone for Linux. There is a long time I'm
> thinking of this but the task is huge, I'll probably need help.
> Porcessing music sheet under tex is a compilation so in a sense this is far
> from the an event driven application like Finale, but the rules are the
> same.

I can't say I've used Finale, but I've seen output from it. The output
from Lilypond is better. Maybe this was because of some setting in
Finale, but I doubt it.
If you go ahead with this project, consider using lilypond as a
back-end.

> You can find a presentation and a start of specs at
> http://mapage.noos.fr/pianoat

I've read your page and I wish you good luck with your ambitious
project.

Here are some other projects that you don't mention on your page, so I
thought I'd mention them. (All of these work in Linux)

Rosegarden: very old project, being reengineered for kde3
http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/

NoteEdit: seems to be the most featureful
http://tan.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html

Brahms: main focus on midi stuff
http://brahms.sourceforge.net/

MuX2d: not that featureful yet, musixtex front-end
http://mux2d.sourceforge.net/

Denemo: not that featureful yet, lilypond front-end
http://denemo.sourceforge.net/

Gscore: not that much at all yet
http://www.gscore.org/

So there are quite a few projects in this area.

Regards,

        Martin