footnotes (was: Re: First edition of famous unpublished works on Mutopia

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: footnotes (was: Re: First edition of famous unpublished works on Mutopia?)
Date: 23 May 2002 17:56:53 -0400

    Chris> I agree with you that some kind of footnote feature would be useful
in
    Chris> LilyPond. Developers: is it practical/possible to add something
along the
    Chris> lines of the LaTeX footnote feature - maybe even using it, since
LilyPond
    Chris> uses LaTeX?

I do latex footnotes to my lilypond all the time.  The lilypond
automation isn't ideal, but for me it's automated, since both the
footnote text and the marker in the score are in my ABC file.

What I do in the ABC is:

        ABc "(1)"d
N:(1) this d may really be an e

When abc2ly puts this into lilypond, it becomes:

a' b' c'' d''^"(1)"

and my script for writing a .lytex file for lilypond-book to read puts
the following into the .lytex file, after the part in which this
footnote appears:

\footnotetext[1]{this d may really be an e}

So the only thing that isn't automated for me is the assignment of the
footnotemark, which may be doable, but since I don't usually have that
many footnotes, I haven't tried.

I don't know what would be required to put this kind of feature into
lilypond for those who don't use lilypond-book.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
(If I haven't invited you to my party on June 2, I'm sure it's an oversight.)