Re: music font

From: Maurizio Tomasi
Subject: Re: music font
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:57:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Hey, I have the same problem installing version 1.5.57 and 1.5.58 under
SuSE Linux 7.0 with Guile 1.4.1 installed.  If I try the simplest file:

  \score {
      \notes \relative c' { c4 d e f | g1 }

then ly2dvi starts complaying about a wrong use of 'eval':

  GNU LilyPond 1.5.58
  Now processing: `test.ly'
  Analisi...
  Interpretazione della musica...[3]
  Pre-elaborazione...
  Calcolo delle posizioni della colonne...
  paper output to `test.tex'...Backtrace:
  0* [tex-output-expression # #<output: test.tex 3>]
  1* [display ...
  2*  [eval # #]

  ERROR: In procedure eval in expression
         (my-eval-in-module expr this-module):
  ERROR: Wrong number of arguments to #<primitive-procedure eval>

This error happens also if I call `lilypond' directly, and also if I
use the `-f ps' or `-f pdftex' option (instead of `tex-output-
expression', it complains about `ps-output-expression' and 'pdftex-
output-expression' respectively).  The problem seems to be in file
scm/tex.scm, lines 283-285:

  (define-public (tex-output-expression expr port)
    (display (my-eval-in-module expr this-module) port )
    )

In fact, if I try to run `guile' and I execute this command (perfectly
legal: I took it from the "Scheme Revised^5 Report"):

  (eval '(* 7 3) (current-module))

then `guile' will give the following error message:

  standard input:1:1: In procedure eval in expression
                      (eval (quote #) (current-module)):
  standard input:1:1: Wrong number of arguments to
                      #<primitive-procedure eval>
  ABORT: (wrong-number-of-args)

My guile accepts only two parameters for `eval':

(eval '(* 7 3))

prints 21.

So, I think the problem is in guile, not in lilypond.  On my SuSE Linux
7.0 guile 1.3.x was installed.  In order to use lilypond, I removed it
completely using the Yast installation program, then I installed guile
1.4.1 by unpacking the tarball under my home directory and creating the
binaries via a `./configure ; make ; make install' command.  Is this
sufficient to install guile?  The shipped INSTALL file is not very clear
about doing upgrades.

Also, should I (re)install a new version of SLIB?  I found this
library in `/usr/lib/scheme/slib', but I do not know if it was
installed by SuSE a long time ago or by guile 1.4.1 today.

Thanks
Maurizio