Re: Guile 1.5.x

From: Maurizio Tomasi
Subject: Re: Guile 1.5.x
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:32:07 +0200 (MET DST)

> Hmm.  What does
>
>     guile -c '(write (minor-version))'
>
> say?  I suspect it says "4.1", and that's why you're seeing this
> problem.

"Unfortunately" (!) my Lilypond system now runs well, so I erased
Guile 1.4.1 from my hard disk.  Thus, I cannot run this test.

But I think my problem was not a real problem.  Now I am sure you are
right about Guile 1.4.1, Jan.  In fact, I did not understand that Lilypond
uses the `libguile' library, so one should rebuild the executable after
upgrading Guile.

Let me explain what I done.  I tried to install Lilypond 1.5.58 on my
system with an old version of guile installed (1.3.x), and a lot of
problems arose. After having upgraded Guile to 1.4.1, I issued a `make'
command, but I am not sure if make does recognize a newly installed
library and thus rebuilds the executable.  I should have done a `make
distclean' after the guile upgrade.

After this mess, I upgraded to Guile 1.5.6 and then (but only at this
time!), being totally frustrated, I issued a `make distclean'... and all
was right!

Sorry!  Anyway, I hope these notes will be useful to somebody.

Thanks
Maurizio