Re: Lilypond build trouble

From: Carl McTague
Subject: Re: Lilypond build trouble
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:17:57 -0400

> :-)
> It's a bug in the rather new versionen program checks.  Thanks for the
> report.  In this case, 'no' is pktrace
> (http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen/pktrace).  It's just a warning,
> nothing to worry about.

Oops, I'm sorry.  I didn't realize something newer than 1.5.57 was
out.  With 1.5.59 I get:

  WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs:  pktrace makeinfo 4.1
(installed: found)

  ERROR: Please install required programs:  gcc 2.8 (installed: found) c++ 2.95
(installed: found) bison 1.25 (installed: found) guile-config 1.3.4 (installed:
found)

> But more seriously, it seems that you haven't got gcc/g++ installed?
> The error message is also a bit strange, I must say, but I didn't test
> the configure script without a (c++) compiler.  What c++ compiler did
> you install, and what version?

I'm pretty sure I do:

  address@hidden(lilypond-1.5.59) where gcc c++
  /usr/bin/gcc
  /usr/bin/c++
  address@hidden(lilypond-1.5.59) c++ --version ; gcc --version
  2.95.3
  2.95.3
  address@hidden(lilypond-1.5.59) ./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr/
  creating cache ./config.cache
  checking Package... LILYPOND
  checking builddir... .
  checking for stepmake... ./stepmake  (${prefix}/share/stepmake not found)
  checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd4.6
  checking for gmake... gmake
  checking for find... find
  checking for tar... tar
  checking for bash... /bin/sh
  checking for python... python
  checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
  checking for gcc... gcc
  checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -L/usr/local/lib) works... yes
  checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -L/usr/local/lib) is a
cross-compiler... no
  checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
  checking for IEEE-conformance compiler flags... none
  checking gcc version... found
  checking for c++... c++
  checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  -L/usr/local/lib) works... yes
  checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  -L/usr/local/lib) is a
cross-compiler... no
  checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
  checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
  checking c++ version... found

So I think it's found my compiler, but I don't understand what the
ERROR is all about.

Thanks,
  Carl