Pairing/Combining Two Sequences Together

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Pairing/Combining Two Sequences Together
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:52:31 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Should result in about the same thing as this:
>
> ---
> \notes \context Voice \relative c' { c4. d8 e4. f8 g4. a8 b4. c8 }
> ---
>
> Just to test things, I defined the function 'combine-dur' like this:
>
> ---
> #(define (combine-dur x)
>       (display "\n===\n")
>     (let ((a (ly-get-mus-property x 'elements)))
>         (display (car a))
>       (display "\n===\n")
>       (display (cadr a))
>     )
>       x)
> ---
>
> I noticed by looking at what displayed that (car a) was the
> \myduration sequence and (cadr a) was \music.  However, the two
> resulting sequences do not act like ordinary lists, and normal mapping
> functions do not work.  In addition, (car a) is the unevaluated form
> of \myduration, with information about how many times to repeat but the
> repeats themselves not unfolded.
>
> At this point I'm at a total loss.  Are (car a) and (cadr a) both
> valid types of music?

 (ly-get-mus-property mus 'elements) returns a possibly non-empty list
 of music objects.

 (ly-get-mus-property mus 'element) returns () or a music object.

You should always recurse on both, since constructs like \context
Voice layer  another Music object over their arguments.

> If so, why do they return () for every call to
> ly-get-mus-property?  Can I evaluate nested sequences like nested
> lists?  Is there a better way to do all this?

Repeats happen in interpreting, i.e. after \apply is done, so what you
want can not be done. Better write two functions

        (apply-duration-to-note mus dur)

and

        (apply-durations-to-sequence muslist durlist)

use these  to write a function that  is called like

    \apply #(lambda (x) (apply-durations-to-sequence
    (ly-get-mus-property x 'elements) (list
                         (make-duration 2 1) ;; dotted quarter
                         (make-duration 3 0) ;; eighth
                        ))

The apply-durations-to-sequence should loop through its 2nd argument
for setting durations.  When you go this route, be sure to be careful
with nesting other music in the { } .

Btw, if you finish the code, could we include it in the examples?

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen