Re: letter size

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: letter size
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:10:26 +0000

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 17:19:53 Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> > Am I the only one who finds that ly2dvi ignores the
> > \paper { papersize = "letter" }
> > directive and produces A4 output in all cases?
>
> I hope you have read the Reference manual and the
> FAQ at the bottom of http://lilypond.org/wiki/?PageLayout

Yes I had RTFM.  No, I had not found PageLayout.  Thank
you, and Rune.  Centering saves 0.5 cm.  Moving the
page numbers to the bottom of the page could save .5 in
if nothing else were done.  Unbound music *always* has
a bunch of codes on each sheet indicating where the
sheet belongs.  I want to have the textwidth
as great as possible to still be printable on A4.  What
width is that?  That parameter is easier to manage.

To find the max vertical textheight on letter will
require experimentation, unless this has been done
before.

My printer will print up to 0.25'' from top or bottom.
Do printers vary in this regard?  The default vertical
margin is 0.5 in, whatever that means, because it often
prints closer than that.  How much vertical
margin do they really require?  Of course I mean a
printer that would produce tolerable printed music.

> It's very unfortunate that you explicitly have to
> include a paperxx.ly file after setting papersize,
> but with the current structure of the initialization
> files that's very difficult to avoid.
>
> Also, even if LaTeX knows what paper size the user
> wants, it doesn't give this information to dvips,
> that's why you have to add an extra '-t letter'
> option to dvips. If you let ly2dvi produce the
> Postscript file directly, using '-P', it will
> automatically send the correct options to dvips.
>

> > Can lilypond-book produce good copy on letter
> > size paper?  Is the manual just in A4 size?  If
> > that is the case, it would be good to tell
> > people about psresize somewhere.
>
> If you use lilypond-book together with LaTeX,
> you can use the 'geometry' package in LaTeX to
> explicitly set a paper width and height that
> fits reasonably well both for A4 and letter size.
> I remember that late Werner Icking used such a
> setting in his scores produced with MusixTeX.

I'll have a look at that too, but the addition
of the extras above and below the textheight
will make a difference, possibly a very great
one.

> I don't know texinfo well enough to say how to
> do a similar page size setting for the manuals.
>
> Regarding the space for header and footer, ly2dvi
> uses a significantly smaller height of these than
> what you get by default in LaTeX documents.
> I'm afraid these settings are hard coded in ly2dvi,
> but as always you could use lilypond-book if you
> want another page layout.
>
>   /Mats

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden