mysterious error from ly2dvi

From: Ben Crowell
Subject: mysterious error from ly2dvi
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:20:19 -0700

Thanks to the folks who attempted to help me compile Lilypond from
source, but I gave up and installed a Mandrake RPM I found at

http://www.hklpg.org/RPM/mandrake/8.1/contrib/RPMS/lilypond-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.html
   .
I tried to alert Han Wen Nienhuys that the link to the Mandrake RPM on
the Lilypond web page was broken, but my e-mail bounced back,
because apparently my ISP (Earthlink) is on someone's blacklist. If anyone
knows of a more recent Mandrake RPM, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Anyhow, I installed Lilypond successfully, and now
I'm trying to compile the following sample file:
  \score {
    \notes { c'4 e' g' }
  }
but I get an error as shown below. Can anyone suggest what to
do about this? This is with Lilypond 1.4.2.

address@hidden Documents]$ ly2dvi -P b.ly
Running LilyPond...
GNU LilyPond 1.4.2
Now processing: `/home/bcrowell/Documents/b.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[1]
Preprocessing elements...
Calculating column positions... [2]
paper output to `b.tex'...

Analyzing b.tex...
Running LaTeX...
error: latex: command exited with value 256
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/ly2dvi", line 786, in ?
    run_latex (files, outbase, extra)
  File "/usr/bin/ly2dvi", line 607, in run_latex
    system (cmd)
  File "/usr/bin/ly2dvi", line 313, in system
    error (msg)
  File "/usr/bin/ly2dvi", line 206, in error
    raise _ ("Exiting ... ")
Exiting ...