About \partcombine

From: Maurizio Tomasi
Subject: About \partcombine
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:26:17 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello to everybody. As somebody already knows, I am typesetting Mozart's
Piano Concerto KV 459 (I have completed the first movement!), and I have
another question about the \partcombine command.

Ok, my situation is: I want to create an orchestral score and many
individual parts, one for each instrument in the orchestra. To do this, I
structured the set of .ly files as the `orchestral score example' in the
tutorial.

Here comes the question. It is quite common for me to manually adjust some
things which Lilypond does not handle very well, e.g. raising/lowering
slur attachments. Now, let's consider two parts that are to be joined
together with \partcombine in the orchestral score (for instance, oboe I
and oboe II). I would like to use some of these "corrections" for the
orchestral score but not for the solo part, or vice versa. For instance,
the following score could be perfect for creating an individual score:

oboeI = \notes { ... }
oboeII = \notes \relative c' {
    % These settings are ok for the individual score.
    \slurDown
    c4( d e )f

but when typesetting the orchestral score, I might want to have \slurDown
instead of \slurUp:

oboeI = \notes { ... }
oboeII = \notes \relative c' {
    % Better using these settings to create a `\partcombine'd staff
    \slurUp

    c4( d e )f
}

% Here I combine oboeI and oboeII via \partcombine

Is there a simple way to do this? One solution could be the C preprocessor
(one would use #ifdef macros to enclose these \property commands, and then
call the `cpp' program on the .ly files with different -Dxxx arguments),
but maybe somebody knows a clever solution.

Thanks
Maurizio